Charles Bartlett, a senior shareholder with Icard Merrill since 1984, has more than 30 years of experience handling a wide and diverse range of complex business and commercial litigation matters, with an emphasis on the representation of small to medium sized businesses. Mr. Bartlett’s litigation practice extends to real estate and landlord-tenant disputes, trusts and estates controversies, contract disputes, and condominium and community association matters. He has substantial experience in construction matters, representing owners, developers, contractors, and design professionals on matters ranging from contract and claims negotiations to lien and litigation concerns.
As a complement to his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Bartlett provides experienced counsel regarding a comprehensive scope of corporate law matters, including formation of business entities, business sales and acquisitions, banking and corporate finance, and lending and commercial transactions. His practice also includes real estate transactions, having handled hundreds of real estate closings, purchase and sale agreements, and title insurance matters.
Respected by his peers as a highly effective litigator, Mr. Bartlett has a reputation for aggressive and ethical representation. He has received the AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating™ from Martindale-Hubbell® and named by his peers in The Best Lawyers in America®. Mr. Bartlett has also been selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers and has been designated as one of Florida Trend magazine’s “Florida Legal Elite.”
As a long-time resident of Sarasota, Mr. Bartlett is committed to giving back to the community and has served as a member of numerous community, religious, and social associations as well as on the boards of several civic and non-profit organizations. He has also been actively involved in both the Florida Bar and the Sarasota County Bar Association and currently serves as a member of the Executive Council of the Trial Lawyers Section of the Florida Bar.
- University of Florida College of Law (J.D., 1979), High Honors
Member, Senior Editor, and published author, University of Florida Law Review; Order of the Coif; Omicron Delta Kappa
- Florida State University (B.S., 1976), magna cum laude
- Manatee Community College (A.A., 1974),magna cum laude
- Riverview High School
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
Background and Experience
- President of Icard Merrill (1987 to 1998)
- Founding Director and Chairman of the Board, Gateway Bank of Southwest Florida
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America® (2009 to present)
- Florida Super Lawyers (2011 to Present)
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend Magazine (2010 to present)
- Bronze Award, Legal Aid of Manasota (recognized for 20 to 49 hours of pro bono legal services) (2011)
- The Florida Bar: Member; Business Law Section; Trial Lawyers Section, Executive Council (2009 to 2013); Young Lawyers Section, Board of Governors (1983 to 1989)
- American Bar Association: Member
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member; President (1993 to 1994); Board of Directors (1987 to 1995); Young Lawyers Section (1982 to 1986), President (1985 to 1986), Board of Directors (1982 to 1986)
- Twelfth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (1985 to 1988)
- Mr. Bartlett has served on numerous Florida Bar and Sarasota County Bar Association committees.
Publications and Presentations
- Securities Fraud: Rule 10(b)5 Does Not Require Fairness Where Full Disclosure Is Made, 29 UNIV. FLA. L. R. 761
- Sarasota Chamber of Commerce: Former Trustee
- Mr. Bartlett has served on the board or as an officer of several civic and non-profit organizations.