J. Geoffrey Pflugner enjoys a statewide practice concentrating in all areas of real estate law. He has focused his representation of real estate clients since beginning his practice in 1972, dealing extensively with all aspects related to the ownership, financing, taxing, insuring, leasing, exchanging, transferring, and development of real property.
As a companion area to his real estate practice, Mr. Pflugner focuses on examination, underwriting, and insuring titles to real property for owners and mortgages. He is currently authorized as a title issuing agent for Attorneys’ Title Insurance Fund, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company, Chicago Title Insurance Company, and Old Republic National Title Insurance Company. During his practice, Mr. Pflugner has participated in over 8,000 real estate transactions, with closings ranging from a cash purchase of a $2.5 million lot to the acquisition and financing of a $75 million multiple use development.
One of the more exclusive areas of the practice of real estate, particularly in Florida, and a major revenue source of the Florida budget, is ad valorem real property taxation. From 1972 through 1985, Mr. Pflugner was one of the two attorneys responsible for representing the Property Appraiser for the counties of Sarasota, Monroe, and DeSoto, Florida.
During 1987, 1988, and 1992, he was selected as a Special Master to the Sarasota County Value Adjustment Board and in 1998 through 2002 was selected as the Special Master to the Charlotte County Value Adjustment Board. As a Special Master, Mr. Pflugner evaluated sworn testimony and documentary evidence regarding the proper level of property assessment in the county, reviewed property tax exemption applications and homestead applications, and rendered recommendations to the Value Adjustment Board for its official action. Since 2008, Mr. Pflugner has represented The Honorable Bill Furst, Sarasota County Property Appraiser.
Mr. Pflugner also has extensive experience in many other fields of law, including corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
- Ohio Northern University School of Law (J.D., 1972)
- Davidson College (B.A., 1969)
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
Background and Experience
- Mr. Pflugner has attended continuing legal education programs every year since 1972 in areas such as Lender Liability, Real Property Litigation, Complex Real Estate Transactions, 1031 Delayed Exchanges, Problem Loan Workouts, Title Insurance Underwriting, Eminent Domain, Condominium, and Homeowners Association organization and operation, zoning and land use, and ad valorem taxation.
- During his many years of practice, Mr. Pflugner has maintained an excellent rapport with all of the financial institutions in the Southwest Florida area and is approved to close loans with virtually all of these institutions offering loans.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Sarasota County Value Adjustment Board: Selected as a Special Master (1987, 1988, 1992)
- Charlotte County Value Adjustment Board: Selected as a Special Master (1998 to 2002)
- The Florida Bar: Member; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- American Bar Association: Member
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member
- American Land Title Association: Member
- Sarasota Realtor-Attorney Joint Committee: Member
- International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) National: Member
- International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) Florida Chapter: Member
- Board of Trustees of First United Methodist Church