For more than four decades, Michael Foreman has focused his practice on estate and trust planning and administration, guardianships, and real estate, with a particular emphasis on planning for incapacity, family wealth planning, fiduciary relationships, accountings, and health care advance directives.
- University of Florida College of Law (J.D., 1969), Phi Alpha Delta
- University of Florida (B.S., B.A., 1966)
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
Background and Experience
- Former President and Administrator of Icard Merrill
- Mr. Foreman has served a critical role in Icard Merrill’s administration and management over the years and guided the firm through several critical stages of its growth, including computerization of accounting and word processing.
- Mr. Foreman is also active on Icard Merrill’s behalf in The Law Firm Alliance, a national organization of law firms that has grown from a small, regional group to a large, national organization in the years since Mr. Foreman has shepherded the firm’s participation in the Alliance.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Annual Service Award, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar (relating to Durable Power of Attorney Legislation — helping pass legislation to modernize Florida law in the areas of durable powers of attorney and the ability of minor children to earn income from performing, which legislation removed antiquated provisions that created legal disabilities for minors who wished to perform in public and be paid for those performances) (1993 to 1994)
- Silver Award, Legal Aid of Manasota (recognized for 50 to 99 hours of pro bono legal services) (2012)
- The Florida Bar: Member; Business Law Section; Elder Law Section; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- The Florida Bar: Twelfth Judicial Circuit Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Executive Council Circuit Representative (1980 to 2010)
- The Florida Bar: Twelfth Judicial Circuit Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, At Large Member Representative
- The Florida Bar: Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section: Guardianship Law Committee, Member (1980 to 2010); Chairman (1992 to 2001)
- The Florida Bar: Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section: Appointee for Guardianship Law Revision Task Force (complete modification of current Guardianship Law)
- The Florida Bar: Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section: Powers of Attorney Committee (1980 to 2010); Chairman (1992 to 2001)
- The Florida Bar: Economics of Law Practice Section, Florida Realtor-Attorney Joint Committee (1978 to 1987)
- American Bar Association: Member
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member; President (1986 to 1987)
Publications and Presentations
- Co-Author, Florida Professional Associations and Subchapter S, 22 UNIV. FLA. L. REV. 609 (1970)
- Mr. Foreman has served as a speaker at numerous statewide seminars for the Florida Bar, the Florida Bar's Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section, and the Florida Legal Education Association (FLEA).
- Kiwanis Club of Sarasota-Sunrise: Member; President (1983 to 1984)
- YMCA Endowment Committee: Member (1992 to present)
- Alzheimer’s Association Planned Giving Advisory Council: Former Member
- All Children’s Hospital Foundation Planned Gifts Advisory Council – Sarasota Branch Leadership Team: Member (2000 to present)