Todd Kaplan, having a Masters of Law in Taxation from the University of Florida, concentrates his practice in the firm’s tax, estate planning, and probate division. Mr. Kaplan constructs comprehensive estate plans tailored to the tax goals and specific needs of his clients, while integrating their financial objectives. Estate plans can include documentation such as wills, trusts, titling of property in trust, powers of attorney, health care surrogates, and living wills. Likewise, Mr. Kaplan also represents individuals and fiduciaries in trust administration and probate matters, both domiciliary and ancillary.
Complementing his client’s personal goals, Mr. Kaplan serves their business objectives with his practice in the firm’s corporate law division. Mr. Kaplan advises large and small business clients in forming, operating, and concluding business entities in accordance with state and federal laws, while finding a sound solution for tax goals and protection of investments, as well as employment and non-compete agreements.
Mr. Kaplan began practicing law in New York, where he is admitted to practice law, in addition to Florida and Connecticut. He primarily practices in the firm’s Lakewood Ranch office but maintains an office and regularly meets with clients at the firm’s Main Street office in downtown Sarasota.
- University of Florida College of Law (LL.M., 2002)
Co-Managing Editor, Florida Tax Review(2001 to 2002)
- Quinnipiac University School of Law (J.D., 1998), cum laude
Publication Editor, Quinnipiac Law Review(1996 to 1998)
- Siena College (B.A., 1995), Honors
- Florida State Courts
- Federal Tax Courts
- New York State Courts
- Connecticut State Courts
Background and Experience
- Prior to joining Icard Merrill, Mr. Kaplan practiced four years with a law firm in downtown Bradenton.
- Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Kaplan practiced law for three years in New York City.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Bronze Award, Legal Aid of Manasota (recognized for 20 to 49 hours of pro bono legal services) (2011, 2012, 2013)
- The Florida Bar: Member; Business Law Section; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section; Tax Section
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member
- Manatee County Bar Association: Member
- Lakewood Ranch Business Alliance: Member
Publications and Presentations
- Estate & Incapacity Planning in 2013
- Various Published Literature:
- Labeling of Genetically Modified Foods and the Restaurant Industry: Selling Frankenstein
- The Importance of Proper Beneficiary Designations
- Estate Planning is Much More than Estate Tax
- Florida Guardianship Practice 7th Ed., Chapter 5: Durable Powers of Attorney
- Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, Constitutionality of Taxing Internet Sales, Quinnipiac L. Rev
- Miracle League of Manasota: Current Vice-President, Current Board of Directors
- Lakewood Ranch Little League: Coach
- Manatee Community Foundation: Past Legacy Society Committee Member
- Rotary Club of Lakewood Ranch, Paul Harris Fellowship: Past Member, Past Board of Directors
- Junior Achievement: Past Board of Directors