Jordy structures and composes estate plans that meet the various desires and objectives of his clients, including planning for incapacity and illness, and providing for loved ones. Estate planning goals are then embodied into a variety of trusts, wills, powers of attorney, health care surrogates, living wills and related instruments. When applicable, he develops estate plans in coordination with client’s financial advisors, accountants, attorneys, and other trusted professionals to create a well-rounded and comprehensive strategy that inspires confidence.
Since marital agreements cover both family law and estate planning concepts, Jordy also works in combination with family law attorneys to craft and negotiate pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements that embody the understanding amongst spouses.
As a complement to estate planning, Jordy represents clients in trust administration and probate matters, both as fiduciaries and beneficiaries. Probate matters often include summary administration, ancillary administration, and traditional “full” estate administration, although in some cases, no court action is required at all. Trust administration, although similar in many ways to probate, is performed without court participation.
Synchronizing business and personal goals, Jordy also practices corporate and business law. Whether achieving the ambitions of his estate planning clients, or assisting entrepreneurs and company officers, he advises in formation, purchase or sale, contractual matters, managing and operating, and winding up business entities that serve to protect his clients’ investments.
Additionally, Jordy practices real estate law and is an agent for Attorneys’ Title Insurance Fund. In real estate matters, he facilitates, oversees, underwrites title insurance, and closes transactions big and small, simple and complex. He also prepares simple deeds for gifts and conveyances amongst closely related parties.
If not his practice area, Jordy will always help clients find the right attorney or professional.
Jordy practices in the firm’s Lakewood Ranch and downtown Sarasota offices and has represented clients from all over the great State of Florida, the United States and abroad.
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2021, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Silver Award, Legal Aid of Manasota (recognized for 50 to 99 hours of pro bono legal services), 2018
- Legal Aid of Manasota (recognized for pro bono legal services), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- The Florida Bar: Member; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section; Business Law Section
- Sarasota County Bar Association: Member
- Manatee County Bar Association: Member
- Lakewood Ranch Business Alliance: Member
- Attorney’s Title Insurance Fund (commonly known as “The Fund”): Agent
- Miracle League of Manasota: Prior Board of Directors and Secretary
- Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Sarasota County: Graduate, 2019
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Florida Guardianship Practice 12th Ed., Chapter 5: Durable Powers of Attorney, Co-Author
- Labeling of Genetically Modified Foods and the Restaurant Industry: Selling Frankenstein, Co-Author
- Florida Guardianship Practice 8th Ed., Chapter 5: Durable Powers of Attorney, assistance to Author
- Miracle League of Manasota: Let’s All Play Ball!, Sarasota County Bar Association’s The Docket, April 2016
- Untitled Article Re: Benefits of Revocable Trusts in Florida Estate Planning, SCENE Magazine, August 2016
- Attorney’s Guide to “Ghosting”, Sarasota County Bar Association’s The Docket, October 2016
- Community Associations Institute (CAI) Platinum Sponsor Video – Association Legal Resources
- Twelve Icard Merrill Attorneys Honored as 2023 Best Lawyers
- Nine Icard Merrill Attorneys Selected as 2022 Florida Super Lawyers
- Eleven Icard Merrill Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America
- Icard Merrill Attorneys Named to 2021 Florida Super Lawyers
- Icard Merrill Renews Commitment to Pro Bono Service
- Eight Icard Merrill Attorneys Earn 2021 Best Lawyers in America Honors
- Icard Merrill Names New Shareholders
- Icard Merrill Sponsors JoshProvides Anniversary Dinner
- Ave Maria School of Law, J.D., 2012
Business Law Society: President
- Saint Leo University, B.A., History, A.S., Mathematics, 2008
- Saint Stephen’s Episcopal School, Diploma, 2004
- Florida, 2012